Thursday, August 6, 2015

Quick Reflection after Reading Student Evaluations

Successes

I had a lot of favorable comments about the positive atmosphere and attitude created in the classroom. I've tried really hard all year long to sell this to the students, and I'm glad it was effective for a number of students.

I also had several students put that my tests were hard in the strengths column. I'm really glad to see students that want to push themselves and be challenged.

And several people said I was their favorite teacher. That label usually goes to the social studies teachers, so I will shamelessly bask in that flattery for a few minutes. :)

Things I need to improve and next steps:

I'll never make everyone happy all the time, and I shouldn't try. However, I can continue to develop ways to give students more choice in the classroom, and this can help make everybody happier more often.

The biggest "weakness" that students wrote over and over was that I didn't explain things clearly enough. I know there is much deeper meaning than that, and I am pretty sure what the real issue is. However, rather than assuming what it means, I need to directly ask the students, and I am contemplating how I will do that right now, so that I can take action immediately. I need to figure what need I am not meeting by "not explaining enough."

There were several negative comments about spending one class talking about an entire problem. This requires a culture change, and I need to figure out how to get students to buy into it more.

No comments:

Post a Comment